"Wanderlust"

"Wanderlust" -- I'm in love with cities I've never been to and people I've never met... The best dreams happen when you're awake!

Wednesday, March 19, 2014

Weekend Warriors: London Edition!

Never knew I'd fall so in love with London so fast! Changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace, London Eye, Big Ben, Parliament, Tower Bridge! We even walked where the legends walked- The Beatles!! And last but never least, Harry Potter's Platform 9 3/4!

(Although I had a rough time attempting to figure out the Barcelona "Night Bus" at 3 in the morning for the first time..I still managed to catch the flight- 2 taxis and a giant headache later, haha.)

After our first steps off RyanAir, we ran through London to see the Changing of the Guards at Buckingham Palace..backpacks 'n' all! We explored all over...including on top of statues, but they just looked like so much fun! I made a wish in the Victoria Memorial fountain and we fed a few duckies some cookies.

Next, we had to see the magnificent Westminster Abbey...the side reminded me of the Quidditch Arena in Harry Potter. We weren't able to go in because of the extraordinarily long line. No wonder, because of the events that have taken place there- the marriage of Prince William and Kate Middleton and the funeral of Princess Diana. From here, we got our first glances at Big Ben, Parliament and The London Eye! You can't actually tour either Ben or parliament, which is a little disappointing, but adds to the mystery! As for the Eye(ball) of London, we got Day/Night tickets so we could see it two different ways. Both times were spectacular, but sunset/night time really took my breath away! It simply put, looked like a postcard, and I had the best view in the entire city!! 

We needed a photo-shoot with The Red Telephone Box, which by the way, were scattered all over the city! You can actually make a phone call! I attempted to call back home to wish my brother a happy 25th birthday, but couldn't quite get it to work. It's the thought that counts, right? Haha! I did, however, have a couple delish desserts off the harbor in front of the Tower of London and the Tower Bridge!

The infamous Abbey Road known for the Beatles Crossing was a must-do! And we did just that, halting traffic and all! We looked like the real deal! Then off to King's Cross to run off to Hogwarts at Platform 9 3/4 where Harry Potter was filmed! There's a trick to this picture..but my lips are sealed! You have to go there if you want the know-how! 

 On Sunday, we went to St. Paul's Cathedral for Mass. I'm not sure I could have mass in a more captivating, divine church, unless it was in the Sagrada Família! The gold trim lined the entrances and arches in such a way that no matter how you looked at it, it was always shimmering. The architecture was mesmerizing from every angle- I could hardly focus on mass.


I'm sure I'll end up with time whiplash with all these cities, tomorrow is Amsterdam! But what a beautiful city London was! The people were overwhelmingly nice and always went out of their way to help you! We actually met one guy, Ray, who gave us a mini tour of the Tower Bridge around 10pm. He had overheard our typical touristic "lost map" syndrome, and give us tons of tips!! I truly think that if it wasn't for the expensive currency (pounds) that I would have found my 'place' in the world. I fell in London so fast that I just wanted to stay instead of coming home to Spain! 

This last picture is kinda funny. So since we had practically walked all of London, our feet literally wanted to detach themselves from our feet they hurt so bad. So every time we went to the Tube "Underground" we would sit on the escalators and Laura snapped a picture, lol. What goofballs! Great times in London! I will be back one day!!!





No comments:

Post a Comment